18001 ISO CERTIFICATION FOR SPECIALIST CONTRACTORS
18001 ISO certification guaranteed
18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management
OHSAS 18001 – the accepted “gold standard” for effective Occupational Health & Safety Management
OHSAS 18001 (becoming ISO 45001 in Spring 20180 provides a framework for the effective management of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS). Good health and safety performance is no accident and organisations should attach the same importance to the achievement of high standards of OHS management as they do to other key aspects of their business activities. Specific benefits in relation to OHS are cited by Certified businesses:
- Demonstrable commitment to occupational H&S
- Clear definition of H&S responsibilities of all personnel
- Structured approach to hazard identification and H&S risk management
- Better safeguard the wellbeing of both your people and your business
- Reduction of accidents, danger and downtime
- Ensure compliance with current H&S legal requirements
- Clear objectives for H&S improvement, with measurable results
- Required assessment and monitoring ensures the reliability of H&S operations
- Improved stakeholder relationships – by safeguarding the health and property of staff, customers and suppliers
- Potential reductions in liability claims and lower insurance premiums.
Organisations of all kinds are increasingly concerned with achieving and demonstrating sound Occupational Health & Safety performance. Furthermore, this is against a background of increasingly stringent legislation and increased concern expressed by interested parties about Occupational Health & Safety issues. OHSAS (Occupational Health & Safety Assessment Series) 18001 has been developed in response to the demand for a recognisable Occupational Health & Safety Management System Standard against which management systems can be assessed and certified. Safety “reviews” or “audits” on their own may not be sufficient to provide an organisation with the assurance that its performance not only meets, but will continue to meet, its legal and policy requirements. To be effective, they need to be conducted within a structured management system that is integrated within the organisation.
How to get ISO 18001 certified?
OHSAS 18001 specifies requirements for such an Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Management System. These requirements will enable an organisation to develop policy, control its risks, and establish objectives and processes to achieve the policy commitments and take action as needed to improve its performance.
Demonstration of successful implementation of this OHSAS Standard, via Certification by a UKAS Accredited Body, can be used by businesses to assure their customers that an appropriate OHS Management System is in place. 18001 does not state specific Occupational Health & Safety performance criteria, nor does it give detailed specifications for the design of a management system, it is all about principles and effectiveness. While 18001 goes beyond the requirements of schemes such as CHAS and is recognised as the gold standard in relation to Health & Safety management, any controls that you have developed for the likes of CHAS will put you well on the way to tacking the requirements of OHSAS 18001.